You probably remember that we moved into a new house last summer, and if you’re going to ask how we’re doing now that we’re “all settled in,” let me stop you to say that I have a stack of wall hangings shoved in the back of a closet that I’m still trying to gather enough emotional energy to deal with.
I’ll get to it, geez. I just have other projects that keep grabbing my attention.
Like this Barn Door DIY.
Our new house is 99% one-story, with only a living area and bathroom upstairs.
When we moved in, we envisioned that upstairs to be the perfect space to send the kids and their friends. It had a half-wall, making it nice and open, but the very first time we sent the teenager and his friends up there to play poker, we knew we’d have to take that wall all the way up because their filthy language echoed over the half-wall like a bull horn toward the downstairs.
Unfortunately, taking the wall all the way up didn’t help much.
The opening for the door now served as a noise funnel. Besides, we wanted to be able to offer privacy if we have guests who want to stay up there. Since it has a full bathroom, it has the potential for being a nice guest suite.
We'd have to put a door on there. A barn door.
Our new house has much more modern lines than our old one, and - especially since my go-to style is rustic - I try to add some slightly worn and weathered pieces where I can, to help make our house feel homey, while staying with the contemporary feel of the house's design.
That upstairs area is home to a set of IKEA "built-ins," which I still owe you a post on (Jesus, I have got to get my life together), and a few other IKEA pieces - all of them white and with a sleek, Scandinavian feel - so the room needed the warmth of a rustic barn door.
Some important notes about this project:
The barn door should be at least three or four inches wider than the opening for the door so that it overlaps the opening.
This tutorial “recipe” is based on a rustic look, which is my favorite because the need for precise measurements is pretty low (for the most part).
We made a few mistakes and just sort-of finagled some work-arounds to fix them. I’ll point them out as we get to them.
The specifics of our barn door project
The walls are tall in our upstairs room, and we didn’t want the door to weigh a ton, but I wanted the hefty look of wide planks. We chose 2x8” planks of pine, one of the lighter-weight woods available.
Even with a “lighter-weight” wood, each plank weighs about 25 or so pounds, so we carried the pieces of wood upstairs individually and built the door up there so that we weren’t having to haul a 150-pound monstrosity up the stairs.
The door opening is 38” wide by 95” tall. The finished door is 44” wide (except it's really 43.75”) by 97” tall.
Building The Door
After pulling the hardware off the test piece, we were ready to attach it to our door. Well, our door wasn't assembled, yet. So it was ready to attach to a piece of wood, which would be one of the end pieces of the door.
We did it this way - before building the entire door first - so we could make sure the bottom of the door was the right height from the floor. We wanted to make sure of that before we had the full 150-pound door assembled.